Entry #9 - Consuming Our Minds

 Over this last month, my college English class has focused on writing a persuasive paper about media. During this process, I began to see how much of our lives are consumed by it. When this assignment began, I had only thought there was one form of media; social media, but I was wrong. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the definition is "the main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the internet) regarded collectively." The results in more than Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok. Books, movies, music, and more are all different types of media. 




The average American spends roughly 2 hours and 8 minutes a day on social media apps. That does not include other media sources, which got me thinking. How much does media affect us? Do certain media sources have more influence and power over other media sources? Why are we so addicted to scrolling on social media? 

The media source I chose to write about was music in particular and ever since I began writing and doing my research, I have been more aware of how much media I consume. Not only have I watched out for how much media I have consumed, but I have also begun to monitor the type of influencing media. In doing my research, I came across the concept of sound waves and the frequencies that can affect your mood. Not only have I changed the music I have listened to, but I removed unnecessary Instagram accounts that do not help me reach the goals in life I intended to achieve. 




As society experiences all kinds of media on a day-to-day basis, it is imperative to monitor the type of information being subconsciously subjected to. Constantly seeing information every day can infiltrate the mind and how it thinks and acts. So I challenge you to take a good look at how you spend your time and ask yourself "Will this benefit me?" and see where that takes you. 

Comments

Popular Posts